Chaos. Violence. Terrorism. Racism.
These have been the headliners recently. It’s sad, scary, unfair, and unjust.
What can be done about it? How can we get it under control?
Sadly, you have no control over the violent acts of others. You do, however, have control over how you find peace in the midst of chaos. Without peace in your environment, it becomes so much more important to find peace within. Peace from within is found in balancing the things in life.
Yes, it’s important to know what’s going in the world. Yes, it’s important to know today’s issues regarding violence, terrorism, and racism. And, yes, it’s important to know what is being done for social change regarding these all-important issues. Ask yourself though, “How is exposing myself to the constant barrage of violent headlines and newscasts affecting my inner peace?” The answer is probably “It’s not good.” You can actually develop trauma-related symptoms just from exposure to images and news of these chaotic, violent acts. Maybe you’re now wondering, “What can I do about it?”
Here are a few tips for finding balance & peace in the midst of an imbalanced & not so peaceful world:
- Stop constantly watching TV & online news reports
- When your thoughts begin to wander toward the negative, literally tell yourself, “Stop!” & replace that negative with a positive
- If you have trouble getting it off your mind, talk to someone or write it down
- Read positive things, like a positive-focused blog or lighthearted news report
- Watch a comedy, laugh, or play board/card game
- Take a walk
- Eat a healthy diet
- Practice Yoga or Tai Chi -this helps to refocus the mind and balance the soul, as well
- Drink enough water
- Take care of any medical/health issues
- Read inspirational/comforting messages
- Reach out to your spiritual support system
- And again, Yoga & Tai Chi
Peace comes in many forms. Finding your inner peace is an important step in finding outer peace. Just because there is chaos, violence, terrorism & racism in the world, all of which can be labeled as bad, doesn’t mean that the world is bad or that life is bad. Finding peace amidst chaos is completely within your control.